Wednesday, September 16, 2009

For Wendy

Dear Wendy,

Here is a photo of a very large uncut emerald from Colombia. I took the picture because it immediately made me think of you and your great great great grandfather. I still love the short and incomplete tale that you told me about how he left China in search of emeralds. It's still one of the most magical thing I have ever heard. And guess where this emerald if from? Colombia!


Sorry for the poor picture quality. It was taken in The Vault at the National History Museum where there were only spotlights on the jewels. The National History Museum, which I wrote about earlier, is fun for one visit but the collection isn't as good as the one in Washington, D.C. So you don't have to be jealous. I hope you are doing well and enjoying senior year. Please find me a job.

Best,

Alex

No comments: