Friday, December 17, 2010

The Pillars of the Earth

Update: I just finished watching the 8 part mini-series since starting it last night. What a great series! I absolutely love John Adams from 2 years ago and now The Pillars of the Earth. I have a new found appreciation for mini-series. Each episode of The Pillars of the Earth was so enthralling with each part being like a really good movie. And, unlike tv shows, it doesn't drag on. What makes it all even better is the rewarding ending of the series.

So, I definitely recommend it. It's on Netflix instant watch right now. Go watch!



I decided to find out what The Pillars of the Earth is all about after seeing it on the list of nominees for the Golden Globes.

It has quite a star ensemble that includes actors and actresses whose faces are familiar but whose names are difficult to recall. So, it features:
  • Hayley Atwell - Lady Julia Flyte in Brideshead Revisited
  • Eddie Redmayne - Antony Baekeland in Savage Grace
  • Matthew Macfadyen - Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice
  • Rufus Sewell - he's been in a score of films like A Knight's Tale, but I know him best from Paris, je t'aime's first short film.
  • Alison Pill - who looks so familiar, but I haven't seen any of her films
  • Donald Sutherland - who needs no introduction (Yes, Mr. Bennet in Pride & Prejudice).
  • Sorry, lists are so boring.
The set, cinematography, and special effects kind of remind me of the History Channel, which is not necessary the best thing. But I think the story line is quite engaging. At first, the story was a bit confusing. There are two seemingly disconnected story lines--one about the shifting power in the monarchy and one about a master builder who is trying to build a cathedral. Ultimately, these stories become intertwined and characters bond and fight. After watching the first episode, I really want to know what happens next.

No comments: